Makes 1 cup of sweet honey mustard.
Equipment: 1 cup mason jar, double boiler, whisk.
- 1/4 c (packed) brown sugar
- 120 grams dry mustard powder*
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Heat small amount of water in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Combine brown sugar and mustard powder in a large bowl.
- Add and whisk in vinegar and honey.
- Strain into top double boiler.
- Add egg. Whisk in.
- Set top double boiler with mustard mixture over bottom double boiler with water gently simmering. Do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water.
- Cook, whisking and scraping frequently until mustard is thick—160°, about 5 minutes.
- Put in mason jar, cool and refrigerate.
- Store up to 2 months.
* Light, oxygen, and heat reduces mustard’s pungency. Store dry mustard in the freezer to help retain heat and flavour.
Please follow and like us: